It goes without saying that investing in yourself is the best investment that you could ever make. Learning should never stop. Learning is how you process information and experience is how you use that information to further your growth. School can only teach you so much. If you stop seeking knowledge and growth when you are done with school you might become stagnant in life and only get so far. Life has a way of throwing a curve ball at you and if you are not constantly updating your personal skill set to meet those curve balls head on, then you may end up unhappy and unable to get past setbacks. If that is not reason enough, allow me to point out 5 ways in which personal development will be a worthy investment.
- Personal development will provide you with more skills that will stop repetitive negative cycles in your life. Do you ever feel like the same things keep happening to you, or you keep getting hurt by the same types of people and you can’t seem to prevent it? This happens for a million reasons, however it happens from something inside of you that you are projecting out into the world. You have to stop it from the source and the only way to do that is to become more aware of who you are and what type of belief systems you operate from. In order to get to that source you will have to dig very deep. Without the proper skills to uncover hidden beliefs and how to deal with them, they will stay hidden and you will not grow.
- If your life is not moving forward then you are not going to go anywhere. Life is always moving, the world is always changing, and if you are not staying current on your personal development skills, there is a good chance you will fall behind in life and it will move right past you. I can think of nothing more frustrating than watching life pass you by because you decided to be a spectator. (This one hits home for me in a big way. I spent most of 2013 and half of 2014 in bed due to two health related situations and I watched the world move around me and I could do nothing but lay there and watch it. Now, I take EVERY opportunity that is offered to me, and I actively seek new experiences of all kinds so that I can maximize my life and growth. I do not take it for granted any longer.)
- You will find out that it is you that controls your happiness and not something external. You can be happy. You have to learn the triggers that make you react to certain situations the way you do so that you can change that behavior and create a happy and healthy life on all levels. If you are not willing to be honest with yourself about why you do things the way you do, you will never be able to change those negative reactions and become the happy person that you are meant to become.
- We are only as strong as our weakest trait, and that can impact the results that we are trying to achieve. If you are trying to develop discipline to eat healthy, yet you have a major craving for donuts all the time, if you haven’t worked on your personal discipline and expect to just jump into a donut free lifestyle, it will take you some time to get past this, and probably a few failed attempts. Plan for your weaknesses and you will succeed.
- The more you grow, the more your self-esteem will grow. Self-esteem keeps you moving forward and a lack of self-esteem will keep you stuck. You are capable of great things however if you do not believe that you are, you will not achieve great things. You will be your own worst enemy.